Since opening in 1999, Crypto.com Arena has been establishing best practices to operate in the most environmentally conscious way. As the home of four professional sports franchises and the host of high-profile events of national and international distinction, we fully recognize and accept our responsibility to help improve local economic, social and environmental conditions.
In 2010, Crypto.com Arena became the first arena to develop an Environmental Management System (EMS). This EMS has helped us identify our environmental priorities, set goals to guide decision making and provides tools to support employees in their efforts to meet their environmental goals in reducing the environmental impact of Crypto.com Arena’s day to day operations.
Renewable Energy through Solar Panels
Crypto.com Arena currently has 1,727 solar panels installed on its rooftop. This 364 kW photovoltaic (PV) solar system installed by Solar Panel Inc. in 2008 is connected to an additional 166 kW system on top of the roof of Microsoft Theater. The combined systems will provide significant environmental benefits over the next 25 years. These include the elimination of over 10,000 tons of CO2, more than 27 tons of sulfur dioxide and over 33 tons of nitrous oxide, one of the principal greenhouse gasses. The net clean energy benefits of the system equate to the environmental benefits of planting 170 acres of mature trees.
Bloom Energy Fuel Cells
In 2015 Crypto.com Arena installed a 500 kW bank of Bloom Energy fuel cells, which generate electricity on site and help reduce our carbon footprint. In the lifetime of the fuel cells we have avoided a total of 2,257,655 lbs. of CO2 and 797,922 lbs. of coal not burned. Other environmental benefits from having this clean energy system include 2.3 Olympic-size pools not filled, 213 cars removed for 1 year and 26,189 trees grown for 10 years. Also, all office lights were retrofitted to LEDs as part of this clean energy install.
LED Sports Lighting System
In 2022, Crypto.com Arena installed a new LED sports lighting system, new work and aisle lights supplied by Musco Sports Lighting. AEG spent over six-figures to install a new LED sport lighting system that will dramatically reduce energy costs compared with the standard metal halide lighting. Crypto.com Arena was the first NBA arena to feature LED lighting and the first NHL arena in the United States to feature LED lighting. This recent upgrade to the sports lighting package only enhances the guest experience for Los Angeles Kings hockey games and Los Angeles Clipper basketball games. The Los Angeles Lakers have also upgraded their own lighting system modeled after the NBA All-Star Game lighting grid.
Crypto.com Arena believes it’s every team member’s responsibility to always look for ways to go the extra inch to exceed our guests’ expectations and that includes environmental responsibility. That’s why we are committed to continually improving our environmental performance and linking our Environmental Policy to Spotlights on Service Excellence. Also, to align our efforts across the LA LIVE campus as one team in support of AEG 1EARTH.
Crypto.com Arena's Environmental Policy commits us to:
- We put safety first and are prepared for emergencies
- We comply with all relevant environmental policies and regulations
- We are responsive to environmental concerns and requests of our community, events, employees and guests
- We share our environmental story to inspire our guests to join us in protecting the environment
- We efficiently use materials and resources such as energy and water
- We reduce waste and protect the environment through environmentally preferable purchasing, composting and recycling
- We combat climate change by reducing emissions and using clean energy
- We respect each other and our environment and work together as a team to ensure that future generations will be able to return for an ENCORE performance
Crypto.com Arena has the following technologies and policies in place when it comes to controlling and managing our electrical consumption:
- Low voltage lighting relays that control the sequence and operation of all task, general and event lighting. Lighting groups for specific times and use
- Use of fluorescent lighting and LED, instead of incandescent lighting
- Use of electronic ballast instead of magnetic ballast
- Variable Speed Drives (VSD) on all air handlers and one chiller
- Time schedules and photo cell control of exterior lighting
- Use of only super-efficient 3-phase motors
Waste Management and Recycling
Crypto.com Arena's operations team works with various partners to separate and divert recyclables from our waste stream. In full compliance with California AB 2176 we work every year to document and achieve a minimum of a 50 percent diversion rate. We collect cardboard, wood pallets, electronic waste and with the help of both our concessions partner Levy Restaurants and ABM Janitorial we collect glass, plastic and aluminum beverage containers.
Crypto.com Arena is working constantly to expand these programs and divert more waste from landfills to recycling. Working with the city of Los Angeles “recycLA” program as well as the Los Angeles Department of Public Works, Bureau of Sanitation to get their suggestions or recommendations on how to increase recycling and to ensure the arena is up to date on the best and most effective waste reduction and recycling programs.
Single-Use Plastic Straw Removal
As of September 2018, at Peacock Theater and October 2018 at Crypto.com Arena all single-use plastic straws are officially removed from our venues alongside our food and beverage partner Levy. Upon request paper straws will be provided. A limited number of plastic straws will be available to guests with special needs. The move away from single-use plastic straws is expected to remove over 500,000 plastic straws a year from ending up in landfills.
Crypto.com Arena, Peacock Theater and Levy will partner together to responsibly dispose of the single-use plastic straws at each venue. Unused single-use plastic straws will be responsibly disposed of by being donated to organizations representing individuals with special needs requiring the use of straws or will be recycled.
BluEco Technology Water and Ice Development
In May 2018, AEG & NHL’s LA Kings formed a joint venture with BluEco Technology Group to introduce a revolutionary new BluEco Liquid Crystalline Turbex™ (LCT™) environmental technology for arenas and public facilities, including Crypto.com Arena. The BluEco LCT System produces pure water while cleaning indoor air and significantly reducing energy costs for arena and facility operators and owners. The proprietary BluEco Liquid Crystalline Turbex technology is a molecular level environmental air-flow management system that produces the highest quality of water while at the same time efficiently managing the interior air-flow, cleansing the air from particulates, and allowing for significant energy savings. Additionally, the technology eliminates an arena’s reliance on the municipal water systems to create and maintain its ice sheet. As a result of the BluEco LCT system pilot program that launched during the LA Kings 2017-2018 hockey season, saved hundreds of thousands of gallons of water over the entire season and also lowered our carbon footprint.
In 2007, Crypto.com Arena removed 178 one-gallon per flush urinals and installed 178 zero-gallons per use urinals created by Falcon Waterfree Technologies. The Falcon Waterfree urinals save money and time while conserving natural resources.
Crypto.com Arena purchases all cleaning products that are 100% green sealed certified and committed to continually exploring different options and new products that are certified 'green' cleaning chemicals as they hit market.
Crypto.com Arena works to encourage fans to take the Metro and other forms of public transportation or ride-share to the venue. Several of the teams offer ticket packages or discounts in conjunction with Metro. The venue has also installed a sufficient supply of bike racks on the venue property.
Crypto.com Arena is proud to participate in AEG 1EARTH, AEG's corporate environmental sustainability program. Through AEG 1EARTH, we:
- Exchange environmental best practices with other venues
- Track our environmental performance on a monthly basis, measuring energy consumption, water usage, and waste diversion
- Contribute to AEG’s progress towards its 2020 Environmental Goals
To learn more about AEG's sustainability efforts and progress towards its 2020 Environmental Goals, please visit the AEG 1EARTH website and read AEG’s Sustainability Report.
What You Can Do
We're doing our best to reduce our environmental impact and hope you will join us in our efforts. Here are a few tips to make your visit more environmentally friendly:
- Consider walking, biking, taking public transit, or carpooling to avoid traffic, save on gas and parking, and reduce your carbon footprint. Get directions here (link to getting here page)
- Help us increase our recycling rate by placing all waste and recyclables into designated receptacles – if you aren’t sure where to put something, please ask!
- Use only as many disposable items (e.g., paper towels, napkins, utensils) as you need